Friday, January 21, 2011

1.21.11

Week 2 of college: Done.

This week was once again full of ups and downs. I did well on the Italian quiz I could have sworn I would fail. I got frustrated and angry in my Engineering Design class (mostly at the younger aged kids in my class who would rather procrastinate and get drunk and whatnot... long story!). I felt socially awkward in Physics (we had to work in groups to solve some problems in class, and since I was alone at my table I was assigned to another table... and one of the guys I was working with said under his breath "do we really have to meet new people"... WOW. I totally heard you, dude.

Add on top of that we were in the process of buying Jon a new car since he really does need one, but that fell through.

The reason the car thing fell through is because the day after we went to the dealership, I met with the mortgage broker, who told me we shouldn't make any new big purchases or open any new lines of credit until we close on the house... so I told him we had just about got a car the night before, and he ran the numbers, and we would have been denied for the mortgage. So I called the dealership back and we got Jon's down payment back (thankfully we never officially signed paperwork to buy the car, so we were okay) but the mortgage broker advised us to switch Tyler's daycare because unfortunately, VA loans take daycare expenses into account in your debt-to-income ratio. It sucks... they also won't take my GI Bill money into account as an income so on paper, by their standards, we look poor. Which we are truly not... we are very much financially stable and can afford the car plus the house and everything else. I was so frustrated and almost broke down, but we will be fine. Mortgage proceedings are still going on, we will still get our house.

The absolute highlight of my week, school-wise, was meeting with my academic advisor. I had met with the department head when I was first going through everything to get registered for classes, and I thought he was my advisor, but I guess not. Anyway, I LOVE my advisor. She was very understanding of my current situation and was super nice and helpful, and just made me feel very positive about being able to finish my degree. I was thrilled to meet her and to be able to have the chance to work with her for the next few years. She sent out an email to the entire computer science department that she wants to start having students and faculty meet for informal lunches on Monday, which I look forward to now. They truly want you to be successful at that school, and I feel like they care about each person as an individual. When I was at USF, I felt like just a number and like no one gave a crap whether I passed or not. I felt lost in a massive sea of people. I truly believe having a good academic experience and being successful is based on your support system... and I feel that I have that support here.

Ahh, enough of my rambling. I am so happy it's the weekend and I look forward to relaxing, spending time with Tyler, and getting some homework done.

No comments:

Post a Comment